Friday, August 16, 2013

My babies!

So I did go to the Chinese BBQ yesterday, which was a absolutely delicious and realized the were some cultural things I hadn't mentioned. I will mention that briefly because what I really want to talk about today is my babies. 

The Chinese BBQ is a thing that only exists in the summer. There is a large outdoor grill surrounded by a patio with tables in chairs in the hot sun. Everything served is cooked on outside grills by young Chinese men with out shirts on. That is pretty common actually. Apparently most of the guys in the kitchen rarely wear shirts. I know outside they weren't wearing shoes or shirts, and most of the men on the patio weren't wearing shirts either. It is very common practice for men to just not wear shirts or to do this delightful thing where they pull up over their stomachs to let their bellis cool off. You see many Chinese pot bellies down the street with their shirts tucked up under their arms. It is also very common to stare in China. It isn't considered rude or odd. Being Caucasian in china means that everyone will stare at you. People will turn around so they can continue staring at you when you walk by. I was amused that throughout the entire meal I had people staring at me and watching me eat. I debated just staring back since it was culturally acceptable, but didn't want to risk giving the wrong impression :P The food was absolutely delicious! Everything served is coated in spicey, peppery, delicious seasonings and grilled. We had thinly sliced eggplant and potatoes, skewers of lamb, chicken wings on skewers, and grilled bread stuffed with spring onions. My mouth was tingling when we finished, but we ate every bite and I know I wouldn't mind going back! At one point, being the clumsy person I am I dropped but caught my chicken wing. I would have been slightly embarrassed for being such a mess, especially with my audience, but I was reminded that being a mess is totally socially acceptable in china. Napkins are typically tissues, if they have any at all. Usually they don't. People throw or spit out their bones or things they don't like directly on the floor. Using chopsticks it is easier to scoop food directly into your mouth and slurp your noodles with vigor. they rarely wash the tables even in nice restaurants. A lot of people prefer to urinate in bushes or beside buildings because it is preferable to the bathroomus. You also have different interactions with servers. They don't really check on you. If you need something you yell for it across the restaurant until you get someone's attention. It isn't rude, it is just how it is done. You don't tip either. I have learned other cultural things but that is enough for now. I want to talk about my babies.

I now have my own floor and get to take care of and see the same babies every day. I try to start a little early and end a little later so I have time to visit with my babies. I check the charts and then stop to see and play with each child. I have three rooms on my floor with 12 children in each, all of mine are under the age of 4. I am finding something special about each child every visit I make. Some of them have started calling me "ma!" Or "ma ma!" It is typically said with great emphasis because they are annoyed I am not holding them when they would clearly prefer it that way. I seem to find little shadows when ever I enter a room. The first room has a little boy that will run over to me, flap his arms, and growl at me, then insists on being held and growling at me some more while I look at charts. He has a little friend who is a it more shy, but just as interested in me. She will follow a little behind and also flap her arms at me. I can approach and hug her a little or touch her face, but she'll get a little nervouse if you try to pick her up. The next room I go to has two little ones who are often in the little walkers. The little girl won't say anything, she'll just steadily watch me and follow me across the room till I am done checking all of the charts. The little boy will grin at me and if I walk over he will very gently take my hand or arm and place it between is full mouth of shiny bright white teeth, lol. He is so funny. My roommate loves him because he "looks like a little person" rather than a baby, and he totally does. I am starting to be convinced that biting is his sign of affection since he is always incredibly careful not to actually bite or hurt me and intiates his overture with the biggest, friendliest grin you'll ever see. The last room I go in has another set of little shadows. These two are even more insistent and inquisitive. They both light up and wave when they see me walk in and immediately run over, well the little girl runs. The little boy has no use of his legs so he army crawl his way across the room to me. I start looking through charts and they grab at what ever is in my pockets, they help me turn pages of charts, and reach up insistantly yelling "ma!" for me to pick them up. I take turns holding them on my hip till I am done and tossing the boy up in the air because it always makes him giggle. The ayees sometimes try to distract them away, but they always come back.

All of my babies have found their way into my heart and I am getting to know each and every one. Though at this point learning their names is like so many more vocabulary words since their names are different combinations of the sounds I am learning. I study them when I study Chinese. Though I love them all I think I am to mention a couple more specifically.

There is one boy who, still young is the size of a much older child because of some of his medical conditions. He spends a lot of time in his chair because he is relatively difficult to handle having the concept base of a small child but the strength of a much older one. When I go over to say hi he grabs me and pulls me close to go through my scrub pockets looking for snacks. I never have any, but he insists on looking. He gets frustrated, but it makes him happy when I say hi and smile at him. I grab his hands and start singing what ever tune is stuck in my head and start dancing with him. It brings out his biggest smile every time. He is completely distracted and happy and will start to dance a long! I love watching his face because he will tilt his head and take a moment to process the situation to decide if he likes it and then his smile will start to grow... :-) 

Something I hadn't necessarily expected, but I have found that the little ones with CP have become some of the closest to my heart. The one little boy is usually lying on the mat. When I walk in he looks for me and lights up! I walk over and sit down with him and I am blessed with the most beautifully angelic smile I have ever seen. I can't describe it other than to tell you to picture what a smile would look like if it was made of pure and utter joy. If you can do that you know what his smile looks like. I smile at him and talk to him while touching his face or petting his hair. He just smiles and smiles. When I clap or tickle him he'll start pushing up on the mat like the excitement is more than he can take. I know it means the world to him. When I walked by to check the charts before saying hi he looked so sad until I started waving at him. He was so worried I would forget him. Another little girl I have is a little younger, but just as beautiful. She has the sweetest little face and loves the feeling of my had touching her cheek or my voice talking to her. I have a couple more under like 18 months, and it always amazes me how the littlest thing can make their world :) It is very humbling to say the least.


Some of my babies! Some were still sleeping. That means you do not get to see them all, but I hope thy make you smile as much as they do me.


































1 comment: